Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Friday, February 22, 2013

So....this little LENT thing.....


   So this LENT thing is TOUGH!  Every day trying to fit something in is harder than any of us thought.  I am not into legalism so we can get behind and catch up the next day if needed.  The tough question became how to use Sunday.  That is a day of rest, even in LENT and yet that was the day when most of us could "catch up" so to speak.  Hum.... I am totally mixed on this.  Part of me says go for it and yet the other part screams to REST.  Now, this could come up again in every day life and yet weekends can be such powerful tools to get those extra things done when the hubs is home.  More prayer is being prayed in this area.  I am just NOT sure on this one.

A bible verse a day?  WOW!  I knew this was ambitious, but determined to do it.  Fail.  So far Colin is the only one who knows ALMOST all of them!  We will not give up!  We are still working on them.


Psalm 99:3  Let them praise your great and awesome name, he is holy.

Hebrews 13:5  Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you or forsake you."

John 10:30  I and the Father are one!

Luke 19:10 For the son of man came to seek and save the lost.

Philippians 4:8  Finally brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.

Exodus 14:14  The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.

Galations 5:22  BUt the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness.

1Timothy 4:12  Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity.

Matthew 6:33  But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given as well.

John 3:16  For God so love the world that he gave his one and only SON that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal live.



My own personal LENT ( yes, I added some things for me that were more personal...areas that I needed to work on to gain victory over)

     Well, my plan has changed. I was doing a shake once a day. Not any more. I have learned some new things to add to my "tool belt" and these are things I really already kind-of-sort-of-knew. I have struggled with weight for years. Ever since I had my 2nd child. I have been to countless weight loss centers who proclaimed me to be a mystery. I have followed more plans that I care to share. I am TIRED of trying to lose weight and tired of being overweight. I am ditching the shakes. Not because I am giving up that sacrificial part of Lent, but because it's not my healthiest option. The shake is not a bad thing, I changed the mix of milk to water, but always add a banana.  This is way too much sugar to truly be healthy as a lunch option.  
      By the way, I have been doing the shake thing faithfully now for more than 3 weeks and haven't lost a pound. I am still drinking my water (sick of it really, but it is better for me.....how I miss my tea) with the exception of a tiny glass of OJ to take my meds for Shingles(fun event to add to my life...NOT) and my vitamins (they are SO much easier to get down this way). More later. FItness pal is only going to be used for keeping track, but not as my main source of what I am eating. Just for record keeping. It could become an idol and I am NOT going there.  
     I am eating low carb and high fat....real foods. Whoohoo..steak is ON the menu! How I love a good steak. Happy Friday!

 Our LENT experience is NOT at all what I had all planned out (yes we are doing it, but we are learning things I didn't expect) and yet some of the things that have happened are amazing.  We are not doing well on the daily THING.  This week it is possessions.  We are still catching up with the clothing.  The days are getting away from us.  We are gaining ground, though and hopefully will catch up by mid next week.  Boy, did we get rid of a LOT of shoes!  I don't even have a lot of shoes and I got rid of 8 pair.  Even Caleb got rid of quite a few.  Not Caroline.  She keeps things pretty well cleaned out.  She has less shoes than ME!  Clothes are still a point of arguing about, but man we have had some great discussions.
     The best thing that has happened is the 15 minute tidy.....it became 30 minutes most nights.  They do 15 minutes for the whole house then we do the last 15 minutes with a twist.  All 3 older kids go to each other's room for 5 minutes and help them.  They must be kind and loving and must follow that child's orders.  They also must accomplish something in the 5 minutes or they do it again.  Know what happened?  It worked!  They really DID help and they all learned something about that person in the process.  It was SO COOL!  We are SO doing this more often.  As a bonus, they have played games together 3 nights this week.  Quelf  Quelf | Board Game | BoardGameGeek boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/19370/quelf  is a new favorite!  I have actually missed out by going to bed.  Shingles is just not fun this time of night.


No comments: