The book I will refer to today is 7, but Jen Hatmaker I will mention the other books at another time....I hope). I became acquainted with Jen's writing by way of her blog after I read a post called After the Ariport. http://www.jenhatmaker.com/blog/2011/09/06/after-the-airport. This was an honest look at adoption after you get home, take those wonderful new family pictures and reality sets in. I thought it was excellent and insightful, therefore, I began reading a few things by her. In my frenzied life of home schooling, foster parenting, cooking, endless therapy appointments, raising 6 kids....oh, you get the point, I DO NOT have
In the meantime I discovered the book 7 (the one referenced above). Same basic idea only more specific goals. She did this over 7 months with her entire family (they did a modified version) and chose an area a month to focus on much like fasting. Here is a brief summary from her website:
7 is the true story of how
Jen (along with her husband and her children to varying degrees) took
seven months, identified seven areas of excess, and made seven simple
choices to fight back against the modern-day diseases of greed,
materialism, and overindulgence.
Food. Clothes. Spending. Media.
Possessions. Waste. Stress. They would spend thirty days on each topic,
boiling it down to the number seven. Only eat seven foods, wear seven
articles of clothing, and spend money in seven places. Eliminate use of
seven media types, give away seven things each day for one month, adopt
seven green habits, and observe “seven sacred pauses.” So, what’s the
payoff from living a deeply reduced life? It’s the discovery of a
greatly increased God—a call toward Christ-like simplicity and
generosity that transcends social experiment to become a radically
better existence.
Jen also chose 7 friends to walk this road with her. Not to do the same thing, but to keep her accountable and to discuss valid "rules" for her time with the Lord. Her friends actually chose to do it with her in different ways and not as strict. Let's be real for a moment, Jen had a book deal hanging in the balance so the accountability and pressure was far greater as was the payoff. Not that Jen did it for those reasons, BUT it does add another element that the rest of us don't have. Her greatest reward is what she learned about Christ, but a book deal is a helpful motivator.
.....I am saying this to YOU so you don't get bogged down with the thought of doing something like this. Remember there is no book deal for you. IF you choose to challenge yourself it is between you and God. This means you cannot beat yourself up if you fail and wonder why you can't be like Jen Hatmaker! I want you and me as well to make goals and strive for them and yet be willing to start over if needed. Many people no longer make New Year's Resolutions because they don't want to fail! Don't be afraid to FAIL!. At least you are striving for something! Go for it! You may surprise yourself!
.....I am saying this to YOU so you don't get bogged down with the thought of doing something like this. Remember there is no book deal for you. IF you choose to challenge yourself it is between you and God. This means you cannot beat yourself up if you fail and wonder why you can't be like Jen Hatmaker! I want you and me as well to make goals and strive for them and yet be willing to start over if needed. Many people no longer make New Year's Resolutions because they don't want to fail! Don't be afraid to FAIL!. At least you are striving for something! Go for it! You may surprise yourself!
For me and my family we are working on how we will view this. We do not want to take a bigger look at where the excess is in our lives. We can't ignore it once we have read the book (Keep in mind, I am not finished with the book and the rest of the family has not started yet. We are beginning it as a family next week during family night....ought to be a FUN time.....hum).
I am coming up with a plan to work through this during Lent. No, we are NOT Catholic, but I do feel like Lent is a good practice to focus on the cross and why it had to occur instead of just shopping for a great Easter dress, buying lots and lots of chocolate, stuffing eggs, eating like hogs and calling it Easter. Like Christmas it begs of more attention and less "glam" and hustle and bustle. 40 days of reflection leading to Easter is a good idea. In southern Louisiana where it is predominately Catholic or the kissing cousin, Catholic lite....Episcopal (Hey, I got this term from my Episcopalian raised husband....I mean no disrespect) after Mardi Gras things really come to a dead stop. People are very melancholy and seldom are they seen out. The partying of Mardi Gras is over and the time to reflect has begun.
I am not sure how we are going to do this time, but I am brainstorming. We will cover the 7 areas, but with less time for each. This is more doable for my family is who is NOT jumping up and down to follow my lead. They agree it's a good idea, but 40 days is a better option. We will then take it from there. Since we home school, there will be reports written, etc. You should hear the crickets chirp around here right now on their writing assignments about doing random acts of kindness. Why are the crickets chirping? BECAUSE NO ONE IS DOING A RANDOM ACT OF KINDNESS. My idea is failing big time!!!!
So 5 days in each area and 5 days to fine tune and write about the experience after each one give or take a few days. I have listed specific areas, much like Jen, but more suited for us.
A few years ago I instituted 20 outfits per child. This was not THE LAW, but a guideline to consider. It is tough to keep up with each season and also hard since more kids keep ALL clothes in their closet regardless of season. Re-thinking that and how to change it (boxing winter in summer, etc.) We will re-visit this. It is about waste and having too much that you don't know what you have. It's about having a box the size of the back of my suburban for all the NON matched socks? Really? If they haven't mated yet....they must move out. Who needs more than 7 to 10 pairs of socks and girls need even less. Do you know how many pairs of pantyhose I found in my closet? I haven't worn panty hose since 1990 so what am I DOING WITH THEM. This is obviously an area of great need. I have actually already begun. I emptied my closet of over 200 items. WOWSERS! I got rid of 14 pairs of jeans. Why did I own 14 pairs of jeans? Well, I'll tell you dear friend! I am a HOARDER. I fully intended to lose weight and get back into those jeans. Well, those intentions have not made it to reality and those jeans are more than likely long out of style. Gone! Out the door. I now have 2 pair of jeans. Do you know what I have the most of? Really? I bet you couldn't guess.....if you do I will send you a package of the most delicious brownies you have ever eaten. You must leave your address!!! If you know me well, you might figure this one out! Good luck!







8 comments:
Bras:)
Baseball caps?
Not tellin' just yet!
Hmmm...I'm going with purses...
tank tops :)
Hair scrunchies and or clippies of some sort
shoes. Must be shoes.
Okay....some of you made me go back to re-count..... tanks was a close second. The first one to comment commented on FB because she couldn't get it on here for some reason but someone else got it on here as well. I must admit......it's HATS! Told you I could be turned into to What Not To Wear...I wear hats to keep from doing my hair or because my hair looks crazy!
Allison, I am getting you brownies!
Post a Comment