Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

foster parenting

The Miss France update....We did the ABR test on her last Thursday with Ken Martin here in Longview. He is a wonderful audiologist and very easy to work with. Too bad he's not our surgeon. I can't say the same thing for him I'm afraid. Miss France did great and went to sleep for the first ear....I kept her up late, got her up early and made her stay awake all morning. She was not happy, but then again....Miss France not being happy is a whole lot more happy than most....she would smile when I would shift her to wake her up and look confused. After the first ear she was raring to go. I took more than an hour to get her back to sleep, but ken Martin was patient and waited for us. Her hearing loss is MODERATE which is much better than any of us hoped for. This means that she cannot hear the human voice...I guess maybe alien voices are a possibility, but a hearing aid will more than likely be successful. She will be fitted for one in October. This will start a round of speech therapy that will continue for most of her life. Sign language, no sign language and a manipulation of both will be protocol. We will round out our week with Physical therapy for her muscle stiffness, occupational therapy for sensory issues and numerous appointments for cleft palate surgery. She has no idea the battles being fought on her behalf (Or the many videos I am watching to do her hair...LOL...they are so fun, but I am intimidated! White girls...you have NO IDEA...I will not whine about my hair again!)

More later

No comments: