I am somewhat proud of our somewhat budget...meaning that we don't spend much money on a lot of things that other people do, BUT that pride is what is getting me. Who cares what other people do? What is right for us before God is ALL that matters. I am not here to judge anyone else. I am doing this for US. We are so blessed to be debt free and I don't want to ever go back to having debt (with the exception of our house) so I have to have a plan!!! A big one. Salary is small and our family is growing, but God is so faithful! If we are faithful, he will multiply!
Now, back to the pondering.....I read a blog called Raising Olives. She defined HOW MANY outfits for me. This might be a little strict for us at first, but I'm going to be open as I look at our fall clothes. She has 9 children...they each have 2 pr pjs; 2 to 3 Sunday outfits; 3 nice going out outfits...not dressy, but cute; 5 pair every day clothes. I am going to try to go close to these lines, but we may need to get there a little at a time. I do, however like a few "play clothes". By those, I mean a little less than every day. These are for working in the yard, painting in...."no way are you going to be seen in public except by the neighbor" kind of clothes. This will be ambitious, I must add. We have WAY too much! We buy from re-sale, garage sales from time to time and get hand me downs sometimes, but then again...new as well. Nothing wrong with that at all. I just want to limit it.
I think it may be time to form a clothing swap. I've toyed with this since Aimee and I did Once Upon a Closet, but couldn't come up with how to make it work. I think maybe that is the problem...I am trying too hard to "make it work". Why not just be willing to share EVEN if you don't find anything for yourself. Whoa...now that is risky with women. Can we willingly give the clothes off our backs knowing we might not go home with anything? Sounds like a God sized task? I'm praying about it now....ladies? Anyone? On who reads this anyway?
Now on to another money saving task and simplification. I love both of those. When they can be used in the same sentence...it's heavenly! I've made my own laundry detergent for a year now and we love it. I did liquid for most of the time and just recently went to dry. Same ingredients, but easier. I can't tell a difference, but there is great debate. You choose. Now, I am going to homemade household cleaners. I am just starting so you will get to see the process....if I post it. I hope it's not like the clean out post. I really DID stick with it, but just didn't write about it. Camp Curfman was the BOMB. I even took pictures of the piles of bags of trash and the boxes of stuff to go to Hope's Closet (I go there because the money goes right back into the Longview Community). It was a lovely week! The kids got into the contests and I got into the CLEANING out. We should do it once a month!
I'll let you know how the cleaners are working out and I'll also post my recipe for both liquid and dry laundry detergent. I've also been asked by lots of people about homemade baby wipes. Another awesome thing that costs me very little money and is so much better for your babies "tushy"! Plus, it's great for a quick clean up if you don't have time or a real need for a full bath.






6 comments:
You go girl!! You need to talk to Stephanie Forringer about a clothing swap! She does one every year!!
You're awesome Kara!!
I would go for a kids clothing swap. I am in the same category - I need to get rid of much more than I need anything!
I think I could be in on that. Possibly giving away of my own clothes too. I know Clara has some stuff as I was bagging some up today. I definitely need to be going through the boys stuff.
I made all my baby wipes from your recipe (although changed the baby oil to Burt's Bees apricot oil because it smelled so good) - I have turned so many people onto it as well. I hear you on the reducing. I do not think I could cut their outfits down that much but I have quite buying because I just do not need to - I get enough hand me down and gift clothes. I just buy the rain gear and footwear. I would love detergent and cleaning recipes!
Anna Katherine
I think I will be in. Talking to you yesterday brought down my selfish walls and made me realize that God has always provided what we have needed. Now don't go crazy planning this. I know you. A simple girls night out, food involved with PILES of clothes. No kids! It's free stuff. If it doesn't fit, who cares? This is about the heart of giving!
Sounds great! I'm in!!
Post a Comment