Home-schooling vs. public school vs. private school. The debate seems to swirl around everywhere I go. I am surrounded by all of the above so I know the struggles and desires and know the many prayers for the RIGHT decision that are prayed. The right decision is different for everyone. I never would have gone the home-schooling journey on my own. It just wasn't in me. Yes, I was a teacher and yes I enjoyed studying and researching and so forth, but bringing my own kids home all day. Not for me.
Then God called and set the stage... first was the strong lead to leave our church and find another one. That one was a real struggle. We weren't completely happy, but we were comfortable and lazy. Looking for new churches was agonizing. The kids cried and complained and we were worn thin, but God had called to do this. After many months of going to our old church (Locke taught a class of our friends and we had a large Care Group) at one service and rushing to another church for the other part we finally felt like we needed to be at Fellowship Bible Church. Odd that is was a church known for having loads of home-schoolers and Christian Heritage Kids. We were neither and not planning on being either. No big deal. I was very much in support of those who did home-school. I just didn't have the self discipline or energy to do it myself. Christian Heritage... well, the kids could go to college or private school and Locke, being raised in private schools is not for private school to an extent.
Well ,there we were finally feeling like we truly found a place to call home and then Caleb began to struggle more and more with his ongoing "weak stomach". It had always been a problem that had found no answers. We thought maybe he was nervous or stressed (what you are stressed about when you are under 10 is a mystery to me, but that was a theory since nothing else seemed to be wrong). It got worse and worse. We did test after test and nothing showed up. After spending the beginning of 5th grade withdrawing more and more, hanging very close to me while in public and refusing to get together with friends told me something was not working and he was falling apart as a result. When he started coming home from school crying almost daily and doubling over from constant pain it was time to do something. In Texas, school is optional.. meaning the rights to home-school are guraded and left up to the parents to choose. Upper GIs, lower GI's, abdominal this and that.... Well those were scheduled and I was tired of fighting his home room teacher about her reading program (that is another post altogether) and not being happy with the Science program either (Let me make it clear that I was VERY happy with the school the kids were in... We had differences that year, but the school is exceptional until our 2 issues in 5th grade). and finally after crying out to God to help my child... he told me what to do and it was VERY CLEAR. I began research and continued praying. After completing directing the ArtsView/Jr. League production of Alexander and the Terrible Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day to be performed for over 12,000 school aged children with home-schoolers AND adults in the cast, no doubt, I pulled him out school. No big fan fare, no big discussion, in fact, at the time only Mikki Funderburk knew it was happening (Mikki was also a sign and gift from God dropped into my lap during the show.... her son was in it and a joy to work with and she shared her journey with me). The school was FLOORED to say the least. I was a big volunteer up there so they knew me well. They tried to talk me out of it and some turned their nose up at me, but the decision was made and it was mine to make, not theirs. It was not easy, but we worked out the details as we went. I had no idea what I was doing, but I made my way and used my resources with Mikki, and CHEC and God's guidance all along. The hours of research were long. My notebook of notes was longer. I slept little and prayed more. All the meetings in CHEC were such a big help that year. They really helped me to find my way. The other mom's were incredible and quick to answer my silly questions and my big ones as well. By summer we knew Caroline would join us next. Colin would remain in PreK 2 days a week. This year they are all here and we are enjoying the rhythm that home-schooling allows. It is NOT easy, but for now IT IS GOD's PLAN and we can't go wrong when following his plan.
Caleb... well the problem didn't get better, but it was easier to deal with being at home so the level of stress resulting in the pain was better.He began to come out of his shell and return to the out-going boy he once was. A year later after the recommendation of another home-schooler (no doubt, God's confirmation.... look for the little things, HE is in them and I give him credit for this), Sylvia Ramaly, we went to yet another Specialist in Dallas who diagnosed the problem. Stomach Migraines.... no, I had never heard of such a crazy thing, but we decided to give it a shot. The meds prescribed wouldn't work if the doctor was wrong so we got them and 2 weeks later he was a different child. It was truly a miracle. Since that time he has blossomed back to the child he was before it got so bad. He is outgoing and fun and not afraid to go places. Stomach migraines are apparently fairly common, but seldom diagnosed properly. They are often thought of as IBS or various Colon problems. I wish we could help people with this! Basically what happens is the brain confuses a headache and sends the message to the stomach instead. The head doesn't hurt, but agonizing cramping much like a stomach bug accompanied by diarrhea occurs. Nothing happens, but the pain mocks the diarrhea and thus the person spends long amounts of time waiting for the inevitable that seldom comes. This happens all day long regardless of food intake. No change in diet helps, not even NOT eating does anything to make it better. We tried all of those. His food journal was long. No we just treat chronic migraines and the stomach seldom ever hurts again. Praise the LORD. IT was a long, agonizing battle for all of us. IT consumed going out in public and traveling and basically ALL the time.
Another long post, but now you know.... the rest of the story. Well, not really because there are many little stories attached to this one, but this is it for now. As far as home-schooling, we are in. I don't want to say forever OR not foever because I am listening for God's call each day, but we are pretty committed. I love knowing that our group of friends and kids have the same vision and the exposure to worldly things is minimum. Don't misunderstand... they are exposed to the things that are vital, but not the "trappings" of the world as much as we can hold them from it. They have many friends in both public schools and private, but we choose those and not the classroom they are in. Those parents are like minded with us. Even in our family we pray for wisdom in how to deal with the exposure. We all want our children to handle all kinds of people from various backgrounds, but we want them to have the maturity to make decisions that effect them and that comes in stages along the path of growth. I am not naive... remember I was in the professional entertainment industry. There is NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING I haven't seen, but I was old enough to know what to do with that information and I did fine. I chose NOT to go on to New York as a result. The life was just not for me. I do, however, have friends in it today. They are happy and yet wonder how life might have been different. I don't wonder and I don't regret. I love being just where God has called me to be.
Natural Cupcake Liners 500 Count – Just $5.99!
-
Do you need more supplies for summer baking and treats? These standard size
muffin papers are all made of food grade material. Use these baking cups
worry-...
1 day ago






2 comments:
Thanks for sharing, Kara - I love to hear stories of other people and how/why they choose what they choose!
Kara, I met you via Aimee A. thru the resale. Your story is so inspiring. I too struggle with my daughter in school and dig my heels deep into the ground saying "NO, homeschooling is just not for me". I have not yet heard that from God or maybe haven't really opened my eyes to the possibility. Now, I will pray and have eyes wide open. I don't know what our future holds but for now I will be more open.
Post a Comment