Yes, we started new in a new home, totally on the opposite side of town, my kids all went to school some for the first time in the fall of 2015. ALL. OF. MY. KIDS.
I got a full time job. Yep, full time.
We continued with our 11 year old foster daughter. WE DID all stay in the same school for the rest of the year of 2015.
Then it all fell apart. A different sort of fall apart. We were certainly feeling the relief of a smaller property, my husband's counseling practice was taking off and we were on our way to our new start. 2 weeks after we moved in, I fell. Yep, I fell. I never fall, but I tripped over a dog leash walking our very pregnant mama dog and fell, dislocating my shoulder. This is not something I recommend ever. The pain was overwhelming, and never seemed to leave. Long story short, long emergency room wait with me moaning the entire time with a dear sweet friend trying so hard to get me help, my husband then arriving. Starting therapy, it not working, but getting worse. Moving to another therapy place by accident and them discovering that my shoulder was completely locked up starting everything over. The pain was endless and I slept in a recliner for over a month. It is shocking what you can't do with your shoulder injured. As of this moment, 9 months later, I still do not have complete use of my shoulder, but close. Therapy will resume in January as will workouts to bring my life back to me.
The rest of the year hobbled along, struggling with foster care, loving the journey, but hating watching the pain.
Summer brought new neighborhood friends, and learning to adjust to our new part of town.
Kids grew, parenting struggled and grew as we gained more confidence in our approach to traumatized children.
College son moved home after his first year of school to change his major and catch up on classes missed that would move him into that degree. We are thrilled to have him here, but he doesn't feel the same. He feels defeated because this change will cost him time and the school he grew to love due to them not having this degree.
Insurance played a huge roll in totally messing up my husband's insurance credentials causing him to lose a significant amount of his pay each week with the promise that a remedy would be found soon. 20 months later they discovered THEY had not entered his number in correctly. Whew! Problem solved....um no. Their remedy was for him to re-apply and that could take up to 6 months. Back pay for the last 19 months he saw a large number of clients for free? No, the do not back pay. Defeat. To date, the office staff is still fighting them on this since it was their error.
Work brought more travel than anticipated. Chicago with Alli for CAFO https://cafo.org/. California for NACAC Conference http://www.nacacnet.org/events/2015nationalconference/Pages/default.aspx. Then Midland for a week of training and TBRI Training at TCU http://empoweredtoconnect.org/.
In between I had a stroke, a heart cath, a 7 day cruise with my husband and 2 other couples for our 25th wedding anniversary, and my gallbladder removed and subsequent surgery for the stones remaining. Okay, there I said it.
Hum....how did this all happen? I am
The new year needs to bring more changes....AGHHHHH! What that means is that I NEED TO bring the changes. I need to lose weight, get in better shape in terms of how I move and live. I need to focus on what is of value not what I view as needing to be done. I need to dump the checklist and really SEE. Does this mean ignoring my job, or children or life around me? Oh no, quite the contrary. I need to SEE the priorities and work efficiently to determine the goals and stick to the timelines. Not that all things meet a timeline, but focus sure can help. Muli-tasking is not my favorite word, because I think it give us a false sense of the power we hold over our day. It holds our brain hostage and time shares is, not giving full attention to anything causing things to slip into mediocrity or worse. Mistakes are made, time is lost and power is given away or never achieved because the focus was off.
Where is the super hero cape now?

Yeah, me neither. It was simply a broom that I was riding and the cape never showed up.
I am struggling with recovery from my gallbladder surgery since it happened the week of Christmas, but I am thankful it was discovered when it was, because my gallbladder was in serious shape. I also had the week off from work, this did NOT happen on our cruise, but was in the process of happening (I shutter to think of this), Christmas preparations were almost complete and many, many friends stepped up to help with meals, etc. What a joy! Am I ready to usher out this year? Yes and no. I am ready to put the tough stuff behind me, but ready to embrace the new changes and growth that have occurred. I am praying this year bring great joy and growth? Should I be specific? No hardships, no illness, no tragedy, no heartache??? Well, I would love to, but I know God knows what is ahead and is a far better cruise director than I. I will simply have to trust he has me and my family in his hands through the next days.






4 comments:
At the risk of not understanding, but did you say you are going back to therapy for your shoulder?
I had a similar situation. Dislocated shoulder, pain like I've never had, months, went to therapy where they criticized me for not doing better with the exercises. Finally went to an ortho guy who told me my shoulder was frozen. He told me therapy was the worst thing I could do for it. (My daughter who is a PTA doesn't understand this advice.) He told me that a frozen shoulder will recover in about 18-24 months all on its own. He offered a cortisone shot which I declined. I had very, very limited range of motion, but slowly but surely it began to recover on its own. I still have trouble sleeping on that arm even after 30 months, but almost all of my ROM has returned and more importantly the pain is 98% gone.
Wanted to encourage you: Sometimes life doesn't go just the way it should, but with God in control of our lives, we have Him to go to. I pray that your New Year becomes better.
OH goodenss, thank you so much for posting!! I sometimes think I am just whining. It is doing much better now that I changed therapy places. They do massage and several other therapies that actually use my opposite shoulder to strength the hurt one. The therapist said they can do test to determine where I am, but the real test of complete healing will be when I can sleep on that shoulder without pain. It is SO SLOW, but I do feel like it is dramatically better. Thank you, thank you so much for telling me your story and helping me to look at it from a different angle! I appreciate that more than you know!
Ouch! I sure hope 2016 is a lot more kind. Hang in there, Girl! It has to get better than this.
Post a Comment