Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Monday, August 12, 2013

Another silly, meaningless rant....

     Okay....serious sarcasm. I think grade graduations are.......I'm about to say it.....the "S" word. Don't let your children read this....STUPID. Really? Maybe pre k because they are so cute, but after than I am just OVER it. If my kids were in school, we would skip, call in sick or have a fake flat tire. I am not kidding. High school graduation is enough. I didn't even want to walk in college, but my dad made me. So....a friend of mine and I decided to have a little fun.  We'll have to list the awards soon. They are PRICELESS. Yes, they all got TOP in their class. Of course our children are BRILLIANT. Like all of yours. But for those of you whose kids weren't brilliant and only got consolation awards. We love you most of all!!!!! Because your kids ARE awesome!  God loves your kids and he loves them just like they are.
  Before you throw me under the bus, please understand where I am coming from. I think children need to know they are doing a great job, but you can go too far and then there are those kids who on a good day are just trying to survive. There are those kids who didn't eat the night before, had no one to put them to bed or encourage them. Their grades are horrible, they smell, they don't play well with others and the list goes on. They are NOT trouble makers, they are a product of their dysfunctional parents, but they are loved by their CREATOR. 
     I just feel like graduations are a chance for a school to say, "look at us....We are so wonderful". It is stressful for the over worked teachers and a bit over the top. Trying to NOTICE every kid is tiresome and parents are running from school to school to be "the good mom". Let school be out and done.  3 hours of AB Honor roll this, I threw away my trash at lunch award, I passed STAR TAKS OR NEXT CRAZY TEST, Presidential blah blah award.  What?  This is insane and yet as I speak there are moms AND dads counting awards and pushing their kids to get this or that next year.  Where are those awards now....did you list them on their resume?  Their 4th grade resume...for crying out loud.  Good gravy!!! 
     
      Why can't school be DONE??! Oh, I guess it can. I home school.  Now I know why!  I don't have to endure all of that craziness.  I can give awards like "Most Likely to try and avoid math", "most likely to try and write a book report on a 1st grade reader while in.....7th grade or something like that".  Honor roll...absolutely because my kids have to correct all of their schoolwork so I don't really have to take grades!!!  Best in class is more like it.  Pat on the back for me and for them and happy summer.  Whew!
   How's this for the first post in a while.  Just couldn't take all of the graduation posts on FB any longer.  No offense.  I just wonder how special high school graduation is if we graduate every year.  Just another chance to sit and listen to the countless meaningless awards for "nothing" really....again, no disrespect.   Think about the awards.  Most of them are just feel good awards.  We do not get to feel good every day and get so many awards in daily life.  Why do all of this now.  Think of the disappointment when they don't come.  
     I have a friend who was majorly into pageants.  When she got married she went through a huge depression and was finally able to pinpoint that once the wedding was over (and so were all of the pageants) she wasn't the center of attention.  She just simply couldn't put down the crown.  She needed to be photographed and patted on the back and being just simply a wife wasn't enough. She really struggled.  
    Love your kids, show them love every day, but they don't have to be THE BEST at everything.  It's impossible and is setting your children up for failure.  Stop the madness!  Put special event like graduation in perspective and let it happen after 12th grade! 

2 comments:

Sara said...

I am a teacher and I AGREE. I strongly dislike grade promotion programs. They are way out of hand. I feel like the times I have been required to participate in these programs the pressure to have them has come from the parents, though. Wanting some way for the school to acknowledge their promotion. I just think they are silly. If you feel strongly about celebrating that milestone, do something with your own family.

RAnn said...

Must be something from your area. Here they "graduate" from Pre-K,K, eighth grade (private schools only,not public) and high school. Most of the schools do have some sort of awards ceremonies. My older kids went to a public school where every kid got at least one award per year (but everyone who had higher level thinking skills knew by the end of the ceremony who the class stars were). Those ceremonies didn't last long and pretty much the only ones there were parents. By middle school, the kids only got awards if there was something special. I personally liked seeing my kids and their friends honored for their work.