Hard to believe another cook is behind us and I am behind on posting about it! We had a sub cookin' girl, but she has been in the group before so she brought lots of experience to the table and lots of yummy recipes as well. As you may have read, in the last post costs were a bit up. We cook for 8 and make 100 meals. We went home with 4 extra pork chops each. That came to $10.55 a meal which is $1.32 per person. The cook before that was only $8.71 (I think that is right, if not it is close). Not sure why the costs were up except that they are simply rising. We DO try to watch it and don't like to go over $10. Keep in mind, we keep any spices or non perishables together for the next round so we do not waste anything there.
Tex Mex Sirloins (serves 8)
2 1/2 lb sirloin steak
4 tsp black pepper
2 tsp cumin
3 tsp chili powder
3 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp coarse salt
2 tsp dried oregano
Corn Salsa with the Tex Mex
2 15 oz can of corn
2 small red pepper
1 shallot or red onion
4 TBSP vegetable oil
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP white wine vinegar
2 TBSP sugar
4 TBSP fresh cilantro
Preheat grill to medium heat.
Grill sirloins over medium heat for 6 minutes on each side,
for a total of 12 minutes grilling time. Remove steaks from the grill, and let
them sit for around 5 minutes.
Slice and serve with a big helping of chilled corn salsa.
Dump Honey Sesame Pork Chops (serves 8)
1/2 cup beer
3 TBSP sesame seeds
3 TBSP honey
2 TBSP Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp minced garlic
about 3 pounds pork chops or pork loin
Dump into the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.
Spicy Whiskey BBQ Burgers (serves 8)
3 lbs Ground Meat (beef, Bison, Turkey) DO NOT shape burgers
for freeze.
Salt And Pepper
6TBSP Butter
1 whole Large Onion, Diced
3/4 C Whiskey
1 1/3 C
Barbecue Sauce
(1/4 C Jarred Jalapeno Slices (more To Taste) took this out)
whole Slider Buns Or Dinner Rolls, Split or reg buns
Throw the diced onions in the skillet and stir to cook,
about 3 minutes. Pour in whiskey (be careful if you're cooking over an open
flame; turn it off momentarily to be extra careful) and stir. Allow the whiskey
to reduce by half, about 2 to 3 minutes, then stir in jalapenos and the
barbecue sauce. Cool and freeze in separate baggie.
Grill patties, heat sauce on the stove. Top on burgers
before serving. Or if you are lazy and up for a challenge grill one side and then top with the sauce...yeah some will spill into the grill. I like to live on the edge.....of sanity.
Chicken and Bean Tacos (serves 8)
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about
6)
3 T taco seasoning mix
1 can (4 1/2 oz) chopped green chiles, undrained (omit if
you’re not a fan)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 t ground cumin
1 t crushed coriander seed
2 can (9oz) beans – I like to do black beans, but you can
also use cannellini, butter or pinto beans
Taco shells or tortillas. Probably could have had a bit more chicken, but it was more than I thought.
Dump and freeze.
Dump and freeze.
Skillet Cordon Bleu
2 lbs Chicken tenders (boneless skinless is an option
1/2 C Italian Bread Crumbs (Can use WHEAT SUB )
1/2 C Italian Bread Crumbs (Can use WHEAT SUB )
1t pepper
1T butter
1T Olive oil
pkg (16*5) slices of Canadian bacon
1 packages of sliced Swiss cheese
Bag it all together. Butter and oil in a small bag (this step wasn't needed...I think we all have them)
Shake breasts in a baggie with breading to coat. In oven proof skillet melt butter and
oil over medium heat. Cook chicken
3 to 4 minutes each side (a little less on the 2nd side) or until done. Arrange Canadian bacon over chicken and
top with cheese. Broil 5 1/2 inches from heat 2 minutes or until cheese is
melted. FAMILY FAVORITE!
Brown Sugar Meat loaf (serves 8)
1/2 C packed brown sugar
1/2 C ketchup
3 lbs lean ground beef (could use a bit more meat to serve for 8)
1/2 C milk
2 eggs
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 bags onion or 1 onion chopped
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 C oatmeal
Be sure to bag ketchup mix separate.
Be sure to bag ketchup mix separate.
Preheat oven to 350 and top with ketchup mix.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until juices are clear.
(Serve with homemade mac and cheese and green beans.)
Salmon Fillets In Red Wine (serves 8)
Do not let the bagging intimidate you! This is gourmet!
Bag
4 Tablespoon Butter
2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
I think this step could be skipped because you have it. Up to you!
I think this step could be skipped because you have it. Up to you!
8 Ea Salmon Fillets (about 6 -Ounces Each), Skinned
Bag
Flour (For Dredging)
Salt
Black Pepper, Fresh Ground -Optional
Bag
1 Medium Onion, Diced
2 Teaspoon Garlic, Minced
21 Medium Carrot, Peeled And Roughly Chopped
1 Cup Fresh Parsley, Minced
Bag
1/2 Cup Broth (Fish, Chicken, Or Vegetable)
2 Cup Red Wine (Dry, Full-Bodied)
Heat a large skillet, preferably non-stick, over medium-high
heat for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the
butter and oil, turn the heat to high, and wait for the butter foam to
subside. Dredge each of the
fillets in the flour and shake off the excess. Place them, flesh side down, in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper and brown
them quickly, on one side only.
Remove them (browned side up) from the pan to a plate, and keep
warm.
With the heat on medium, add the onion, garlic, and carrot
to the pan and cook, stirring, until the onion softens slightly, about 5 minutes. Add half the parsley and some salt and
pepper and stir. Add the broth,
raise the heat to high, and reduce until
it is
almost evaporated.Add the wine and reduce by about half. Return the fillets to the pan, skin
side down, and cook over medium heat until the fillets reach the desired degree
of doneness (peek inside with a thin-bladed knife), about 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the remaining parsley and
serve immediately.








16 comments:
Hi, my question is: How much do you typically spend at the grocery store for all of this food? I'm really interested in doing this, but nervous about that initial price tag!
Thanks :)
This cook was HIGH at $10.55 a meal. We have 25 each (though we leave one at the church for anyone who has a need) so for me the cost was $263.75. It is normally around $230. We also added some new containers for our food and that caused an increase. Your initial cook will be a bit higher because you will begin to stock your non-perishables as well as your basic things like baggies, packing tape, etc. Yours would be much less because your need for the number of people to feed would be less....like half if you did your meals for 4.
Okay, I have a group together; and we are shooting for June for our first cook. I have NEVER cooked and frozen meals before! So, the recipes are confusing for me. Which part do you do at the "cook", and which part is prep at home the night you eat? Are all your meals "bagged" in gallon ziplock containers to be frozen? Why do some recipes HAVE to be cooked first? At your cook do you each make your own meals, or do you have one person making all of one meal for everyone, and another person making all of another meal for everyone, etc...until all the meals are fixed? How many meals are going at once? I think I can figure out what to cook (maybe) and divide responsibilities for shopping, spreadsheet, and money; but the actual "cook" is still a mystery!
I love to cook!! I have several ladies that are interested in bulk cooking! Can you please tell me how to get started in teaching/hosting a bulk cooking "party"? I am a part time caterer as well! I can cook for 200 people but bringing that down to scale is another thing!! Thanks for any info!!
Michelle. I have no way to contact you since there wasn't a link, but I will try to answer your questions here. I would love to walk you through this! Read my past posts under the Cook Label. The main ones Say The Cook 1 etc. These will help, BUT based on Kim's comment I may need to review those and make them more clear. It's always more clear in my head than when it gets down on the screen! There are some questions you will need to answer within your group....oh I feel another blog post coming on! How many do you want to cook for! This must be consistent. Cook for the largest family. We have 4 up to 8 and we cook for 8! Each cook (I recommend no more than 4 for the space both fridge while cooking literal cooking space. Also for the amount of food being bought and the money. We spend about $230ish each a cook. Each person contributes 6 recipes. They will then reproduce those 6 4 times. That means they will do their recipes for all the other girls! When you send your recipes to your shopper you must take your recipe and make sure it will serve the number you have decided on and THEN multiply x 4 for all of you! Please let me know if I can help you further!
Kim. PREP is really for anything that takes time....like chopping or pre cooking meat or chicken for things like chicken pot pie or some ground meat recipes where the meat is cooked BEFORE it is put together and re-cooked. We don't do these often. Yes, our meals are bagged with few exceptions like maybe enchiladas that are pre-made. Yes, you make YOUR own recipes, but you make them 4 times. Then you begin to make PILES of food for each other. You will only cook yours, but it goes faster by doing them 4 times! This is why it takes so little time for us. We go home with the same 24 meals as the next girl. I do one recipe at a time, but I am making it 4 times. Look at some of the pics on my blog with 4 baggies in a large bowl. I am filling them as I go. I cook the hardest one first which usually means the most ingredients. Call me! We'll talk! This will be SO WORTH IT! Use our recipes on here. They are tried and true and yummy! It will simplify for your first cook. You can also check out frezermealsforus.blogspot.com. She has loads of great recipes as well!
Ok....I found your blog site about a month ago when I was looking for some meals to make for my family before baby #3 arrived and I got to thinking, why couldn't I do this with some friends from church so I asked around and 7 of us decided to get together and have a group cook day....7! Our group freezer cook day was yesterday and I feel like now I know more than I ever needed to about ounces, cups, and packaging at every store (you guessed it...I was the planner). Between 7 of us, we prepared 30 meals for 120 meals total! With some extras going home with our Pastor. It took much longer than I anticipated, but again, it was our first cook. We took 9 hours at our church kitchen and were completely exhausted at the end but my freezer is now full for several months and that makes one happy momma. Thank you for all your awesome tips. I used some of your recipes as I tried them before I decided to do this and they were delicious. All of your tips were really helpful!
I love your blog! Especially the freezer recipes. I've been trying to do this by myself but having a group would be so much fun! The recipes are great! Definitely going to try some!!!
Will you help me sort out a few details from these recipes? We do a ministry at our church where 4 (ish) hostesses have 3 or 4 other women come to their houses to make a few meals for their freezers and your recipes sound really good (and you don't seem to freeze potatoes!).
For the Cordon bleu, what do you bag together to put into the freezer since they seem to be assembled when you actually make the meal? And if you don't shape the Whiskey burgers into patties before you freeze them, do you just freeze the chunk of beef and then thaw it and do the burgers from there? I'm not sure I should leave an email address on here or just wait for a comment.
I had to use my husband's google account (he's thrilled) to post a comment but my first name is Erin (not Paul)
I have to admit, many of these need to be cleaned up a bit. In my mind they made sense, but then reading later I realized that there are little things left out....This is in response to some of those questions by Erin (Paul). With Cordon Bleu just put the packages of Canadian Bacon and Cheese in the big baggie, but still in the original packages. Bag the breading separate in a small baggie. Then put all of this along with the chicken in one bag. We used to use a small baggie with the oil/butter in it, but that seemed a little crazy since we all have those on hand.
For the burgers, yes we form them once thawed. If you have time to go ahead a pre-form them then do that. We were trying to cut our time. Thanks for the questions and for the reminder that I need to go and "clean" some of these up. I want to be helpful so I appreciate your questions!
I love that these are for larger families and the recipes are ones I haven't seen before. Thanks million!
I can't wait to try your menu! I was also thinking that it would be really helpful if you had a link for printable labels with the dish name and cooking directions. That way anyone in my house could cook or if I stock someone else's freezer they will know what to do.
Thanks!
Awesome recipes. I look forward to trying some for our homeschooling family of 10. It will take 2 crock pots of course!! I am always looking for new recipes and the quicker and easier the better. Thanks so much.
Do you have a link where we can just print out the recipes without having to cut and paste. These all sound great, and we are trying to help some families in our ward with some meal prep, I just don't have the time to scroll through all the pages to print them out.
Oh goodness how I wish. You have such a valid request! Unfortunately I am not that advanced. I feel certain I would be able to do that from the app I use which is Pepperplate, but have never thought about it. Now, you have inspired me to look into it. Thank you.
Post a Comment