Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Foster Care Lessons

     Little "DJ" is doing very well. Hard to believe he's been here since Thanksgiving AND we have survived!  He is such an easy baby.  Happy all the time, content to sit in a bouncer or now sitting up on the floor or army scooting around.  He loves the constant flow in our house....just taking it all in.  He is HUGE so lugging him around is challenging.  Too big for an infant carrier and still wobbly.  With the girls, they still need to be in a stroller or they might run so I have him in the Moby wrap and the girls in the stroller.  It can be a little daunting.  The diaper bag alone weighs....well more than I want it to.  I have learned to stock my car with back up diaper bag items so I can go light on the bag and just have stuff in the car if the need arises.


     His case is in a regular CPS  pattern.  It is "early" in the case so to speak so things are just flowing along.  There is some drama as there always is, but I won't share that here.  I will say, there is something comforting about having done this more than a few times.  The things that I have learned through this process (funny how they mirror exactly what God wants from us).

     1.  I DO NOT have control or really much of an input. Mark 11:22

     2.  It takes time for a case to play out, more time that any of us would like and more time than a child has to give, but that is how it is and it's not going to change.  Philippians 4:6

     3.  People who are not involved in foster care have lots of advice and opinions....none of it applies. Psalm 1:1 (Don't misunderstand this one...I just mean that if you are not involved in something then you lack the knowledge in most cases....don't go crazy on me here).

     4.  Lots of people WANT your children (if they are young).  Many of them have wanted children for a long time and it is overwhelming for them to see you with new babies all the time.  It is hard to explain why they can't HAVE this child IF he/she were even available.  It can also be frustrating because as a foster parent THIS IS YOUR CHILD even if you have no plans to adopt said child if they become available.  Loving them TODAY is your goal and again, as a foster parent, you have learned that you only have TODAY.  See the parallels with what God wants from us? Psalm 118:24

      5.  Pray constantly.  It is the only thing that will keep you focused on the reason you did this to begin with. 1 Thessalonians 5:17

     6.  Always remember God called you and it's about the child....repeat this if needed!
Romans 11:29

     7. Make sure you are organized, if not, then have anxiety meds on hand and make sure they are double locked and not expired.  If that didn't make sense, it's a foster care thing.

     8.  Pride comes before the fall.  Ask for help when you need it and take it when it is offered.  Say, "Thank you".

    9.  Find wonderful sitters (yes I did put an "s" on the end.  Get them approved and use them....often!  You cannot do it ALL with them ALL in tow!  I have 3 in diapers!!!

    10.  It is NOT over until it is OVER!  Boy, this is BIG!

     11.  Cherish every moment.  Time is limited! Matthew 6:34




Pray for these children in foster care.  It is an ugly world we live in.  There are wonderful, loving people out there, but there is lots of evil.  Every prayer counts for these precious ones.  I covet those prayers for these children.....all of them.

"DJ" is a nickname.  He arrived the week of Thanksgiving at 5 months old.  He is the 1/2 brother of our adopted daughter known as Baby K.  She is now almost 2 1/2.  He is ADORABLE.  We ONLY take adorable children.  Haha!

I"m linking to http://noordinarybloghop.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-to-nobh-2012.html

5 comments:

carol said...

It has always been in my heart to do foster parenting but up until now it was a "some day" thing. Recently it has been transitioning into a "now" thing. I think God guided me to your blog so I can glean from your wisdom! I will be subscribing!

Unknown said...

Wow, so true, thank you. Pinterest brought me to your blog and I am reading up on your cooking and your foster parent journey. We are doing it for the second time and I find myself getting so frustrated at the cycle of events. It a great reminder that really things are just the way they are.
adammarblefamily.blogspot.com

Pokeyann said...

I just found your blog through Pinterest for the recipes. But then was hooked as a foster/adoptive mom. What a great post! I think I'll be hanging around, thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I found your blog through No Ordinary Blog Hop and am excited to begin following you! I think foster parenting is definitely a calling, and have admired those that do it with love in their hearts. Several years ago I worked in a daycare that had several foster kids attending. Hearing their stories often broke my heart, and I was greatful that for the time they were in the loving arms of their foster parents.

Amy W Thornton said...

What wonderful words of wisdom! Thank you for being part of the foster care world. Your children are blessed to have you. And thanks for linking up through NOBH. Smiles -