We're about to ride the Metro with my parents.
Washington DC? I received a phone call from Buckner 3 days after we moved to tell us that we were nominated for Angels in Adoption through CCAI (Congressional Coalition Adoption Institute). Debbie Scheroler, with Buckner informed me that our local Congressman would be selecting the winner and she felt that we had a good chance of winning. Now I must tell you that when Debbie calls, most of the time it is to ask us if we would accept a placement. Since we aren't accepting placements currently and have not been re-licensed since the move I wasn't worried with the exception of siblings of our girls. When Debbie started the sentence with, "...a few weeks ago...", I must admit I got a little worried. This could have meant something was up with one of the siblings, etc.
What she was really saying was that a few weeks ago our Buckner office nominated us. Once we got down to what she was really talking about, I was flattered and honored that they felt so highly of us, but I honestly didn't put much stake in the nomination. We are passionate about foster/adoption and families in these positions, BUT we have not even begun to scratch the surface of what many families have been doing for years with equal passion. Besides, life was WILD! We had raced through an adoption and then a sudden move that got a little dicey right near the end. Not to mention, we were incredibly busy and quite frankly tired. What did the award mean and what would it mean if we won? No time to contemplate. In the meantime, we were frantically unpacking and trying to find a new normal for the little girls as they were struggling with the adjustment of moving and all that it entails. Debbie Scheroler DID mention that it could involve a trip to Washington DC, but that didn't register with me at the time as I was driving to run errands.
Several days later, maybe even a week later a call came through with the caller ID of WASHINGTON DC. Weird. I don't know anyone in DC. Sure enough it was CCAI calling to inform us that we were chosen by Louie Gohmert's office for the Angels in Adoption Award. In a crazy call with Buckner International also getting in on the call, since they were located in the same building, I tried to process all that I was told. Within 5 minutes my email was being flooded with information from Buckner International as well as CCAI. Would we be attending? How many? Could we send a picture? Buckner has a scholarship to help defray costs. Please approve your bio sent from Buckner. I could barely email Locke to share the news and sort through the emails. As it turns out, Locke never got the email so he got all the information right when he got home from work.
In about 3 days, we determined that we could NOT miss the opportunity to go, we invited my parents, re-vamped home school lessons to cover Government, got permission for Caleb to miss school and began arrangements for the little girls to stay here. Seems odd that the very reasons we got the award in the first place would not be going, BUT this was not for young ones we were told by the CCAI staff. No truer words could have been said.
TO BE CONTINUED....
Natural Cupcake Liners 500 Count – Just $5.99!
-
Do you need more supplies for summer baking and treats? These standard size
muffin papers are all made of food grade material. Use these baking cups
worry-...
1 day ago






1 comment:
Very impressed that you have blogged already!! :) Looking forward to hearing/reading all about it!
Post a Comment