Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Parenting Classes, WIC, Homemade baby wipes and sick baby to the doctor....

     Sorry, I haven't been posting. I actually have, but haven't been publishing them. They have just merely been on our new schedule and how we are adjusting. "A" is eating WAY too much which is why he is SO large and we are trying to scale that back. He is NOT happy! On top of that, he woke up at 4:30 am and would NOT be consoled. Not a fun morning. To add insult to injury, he had diaper rash just in time to go for his parenting classes with his parents. Boy was I feeling inadequate.  The day was just all falling apart.

     His CPS worker came and got him and off he went. We love his CPS worker. She is a jewel! I prayed really hard during this time. I know his parents want him and I can understand why, BUT I still have the "mamalion" syndrome and now that he's in my territory I want to protect him. Still, I pray for them as well as him. This is a lesson for me as well as the kids. It's hard for them to pray for them when they want him to be ours. They don't know anything about what was in the file, but get the concept of foster care. When he came back I thought he felt hot, but thought it was just from being in the car. Checked anyway and sure enough.... 100.4. Just when I was about to call to get him a "well visit" with our pediatrician we are now going for a "sick visit".

     Okay.... I can do this. It's 10:30... I still have loads of laundry to do, clothes to sort that have been brought for him, a house that is steadily declining in the cleaning department.... kids who are restless and an appointment at WIC at 1:15, which I hear will take FOREVER and be an experience I will not forget (this turned out to be TRUE). Now we've added a doctor's appointment at 4:20. What a ride! Wouldn't change it for anything, but today is hard. Crying, crying, crying! Not me, HIM! Well, we get to the WIC office, "little momma", Colin, "A" and me plus all our stuff... notebook with papers for "A", diaper bag big enough to need wheels, sling to carry him because he is SO large I can't carry him for any length of time without it and you can forget it if you think I can carry him in the infant carrier... which by the way, we found out today that he is really too big for. Is that a run on sentence or what....run on life =  run on sentences.  Makes sense!  Well God is good in more ways than I can count. My best friend in the entire world gave me her wonderful carseat that goes from facing back infant to.... I don't know, adult maybe. The thing is huge!!! Low and behold it will work. Yippee!!!

     God works out so many details that you just have to look for and there He is in His quiet way moving roadblocks out of our paths as we walk even though sometimes we don't see it. I love it watching Him work these days. I wish I had time to list all the little things I see as well as the BIG things. I guess I will have to try and list some daily. Here's one waiting to happen....Right now the only stroller I have is one that you snap an infant carrier onto.... not the kind that turns into a regular stroller, but just for the infant carrier to attach to. I am NOT even worried because I know that God will provide a stroller for us one way or another. He has done too many things lately. I am not going to go and buy one, but just wait for His provision. By the way... for those of you reading.... my adoring crowd of... ah.. .maybe 2, this does NOT mean to bring me a stroller. You are NOT allowed. It has to be from someone who doesn't know the need! No cheating. God will provide it so I am not worried (and he did).

     Okay, I have chased a rabbit... so now back to the trail of the WIC office. The man who made the appointment for me was super nice and got me early since I told him this was new foster placement. We went in and everyone was so very friendly and professional. I got in quickly and they were all helpful and kind. Once we got in to weigh the Chunky Monkey I picked him up and refused to let "little momma" hold him. Good thing I did. At that moment he lit on fire... well, not exactly, but it felt like it. I mean he blew the diaper almost across the room. I felt hot and warm. Not a good sign. Sure enough I almost start laughing... this was because I knew it was better than crying. We excused ourselves and our entourage and headed for the changing table clear across the waiting room and back in the waiting area. Praise the Lord there WAS a changing table!  He blew completely out of his diaper, out of his clothes, out of the sling and all over my arm and shirt. Lovely smell. 2 hours later (Okay, that was an exaggeration)we emerge clean with the exception of my shirt. Note to self... when packing the over-sized diaper bag, consider a change of clothes for all people attending the child wearing the diaper.

     Back to the classroom to learn how to use our WIC card. That was funny. Moving right along, more helpful ladies and we are out the door. It only took an hour and a half and that included our diaper bonding time. Whoo hoo. I considered it a victory. Home for a few to rest.

     At this point, I am not feeling too well either. 15 minutes of rest and snuggling with Colin and we are out the door again (Praise the Lord we live 2 blocks from the hospital and doctor's office)... this time minus "little momma" who is at our neighbor's house.  Caleb has been gone all the while to go swimming with a friend; recreational swimming, not for the team. Now my helper is Colin. Could be interesting. He doesn't disappoint. He is quite the little gentleman. Viral infection. Ears are great, throat is great. Tylenol and we are good to go. Blow out diapers are still a part of our future, and loads of crying is inevitable. He doesn't disappoint either. He is still screaming as I type.

     Time for homemade baby wipes. Locke is going for a container to put them in. I have given my past containers away to new moms. He is also getting more Dr. Smiths for the diaper rash that comes with the BIG "D". No, not for me, for "A". We used homemade wipes with Caroline exclusively after the had diaper rash so bad that she had presciption diaper rash meds and they didn't work. A friend made them for us and we never looked back. Her diaper rash was gone in 3 days. Here we are again. I highly recommend them. No alcohol, so no stinging on the little tooshie. Exhausted, but loving this little guy and my sweet husband and kids for being willing to jump in and help in any way needed. You are wonderful!!! Rats... Locke just got home and they were out of Dr Smiths (you usually have to get it behind the pharmacy counter... don't know why). Boudreau's Butt Paste it is! Hey, it works too! Hot bath.... 2 loads of laundry and then maybe I can collapse. I need to count heads. They are all quiet, excpet for "A". That means disaster is on the verge.....

Wipes Recipe: Bounty Paper Towels (trust me on this one).  Use the BIG roll and cut it in half with a bread knife.  Pour 2 C water in the container (Size of 1/2 roll of paper towels...this is hard to find),  2 TBSP Baby Wash (your choice), 2 TBSP baby Oil.   Put in paper towel roll in rough side down. Secure lid and turn upside down.  Once the liquid has made its way through the paper towels, open the lid, pull of the moist cardboard center and pull the wipes from the center as well.

2 comments:

The Clevelands said...

Thanks for sharing your crazy, crazy day! I have to admit that I got a pretty good chuckle about the blowout. Hopefully your clothes will rebound from the incident!

We'll continue to pray for you and your newest little one!

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Hey! The NICU actually taught us about using burnt flour. It always worked on Abs. You can also try yogurt. You never know! It's better than the thick pasty stuff! Yuck!