Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Saturday at home!

     So Saturday has arrived and we have somewhat finished the tree and other Christmas decorations with the exception of outside. Those will wait for Caleb since he loves to be on the roof and helping. He went camping this weekend with some friends and we will wait on his return. For now I am evaluating what needs to come next. Not that I am at a loss, there is plenty to do, just nothing I want to do. We have small group from church here at our house at 6:30 so I better get moving and yet here I sit procrastinating all of it.

   I have to share a funny moment. If the content were different this would be a big moment, but this is too comical to be noteworthy of true learning on Colin's part. Okay... so here is the moment. Colin is in the bathroom and the window is fogged. He decided to use his new writing skills to express himself and share in his difficult moment. On the foggy window in his very best handwriting he writes, " Colin's bodom (bottom) is rad (red). Colin is sad." He then draws a sad face. After he completed his masterpiece he calls me. I immediately come to see what all the fuss is about. I read his note and don't know whether to laugh or congratulate him on writing 2 complete sentences on his own with periods even. It was quite a moment. I opted NOT to take a picture of the window for fear that this was more blackmail material than a mom would need. We took care of the red bottom and congratulated him on his writing and focused it on paper with a better subject. Learning comes in many forms, doesn't it?

     Colin is doing very well with school and I am so glad I didn't send him on to school. We have had a blast and he is quite a good student. He loves to sit in his $5 garage sale desk at the kitchen window and do school. He has his favorites which include Horizons Math and Explode the Code. He is almost finished with the 2nd book of Explode the Code and is in the 2nd Math book. He loves his reading book which is Pathways and is in the 2nd book already. He doesn't like the work book that goes with it, but wants to stay with the story so he does it. As a result, this is usually the last thing he does. He does several other things and has lots of books from the library, but those are his favorites. He loves reading and being read to and tries to read everything himself which can be very tiring for a mom while shopping in Walmart where there are SOOO many words!

   Next week we will do school on Monday and Tuesday to make up some time we lost. That should catch us up and actually in many areas we are ahead so that is a nice place to be. I'm sure it won't stay that way so I'll take it for now!

No comments: