Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Breakfast Burritos

Breakfast Burritos to freeze....yummy.  Found this recipe on Pinterest and saw that they were to FREEZE.  I love that word!  Since my family was looking for better breakfast options and also something to grab quick, these fit the bill.  Did I mention BACON?!  Yeah, we love a little pig at our house.  I will triple the recipe next time since I'm a freezer cooking gal and want a LOT of bang for my time in the kitchen.  I am not used to cooking often because I cook with my peeps once about every 2 1/2 months and then just toss in.....something....in the oven, crockpot or on the grill.  This was a process that was somewhat time consuming and messy!  Worth it!
     This recipe proved to be YUMMY!
  • 2 lbs. bacon, diced
  • 2 lbs. breakfast sausage
  • 1 large onion, diced small
  • 1 cup diced bell pepper (I used frozen diced bell pepper)
  • 20 eggs
  • 36 fajita sized flour tortillas
  • 1 (8 oz.) bag shredded cheddar cheese



     Cook each one in a skillet in order and set aside (Drain the bacon as well as the sausage and then place on a paper towel to drain some more).  Cook onions and peppers until translucent and smelling good.  Add the already beaten eggs in and keep stirring or they will burn.  Once done add the meat and stir.  Top with cheese and take off the burner to sit for about 5 minutes.  Begin rolling about 1/4 cup of yummy mixture and roll.  The recipe suggested heating each tortilla up individually so they won't crack, but I am too lazy and want it to go faster....mine didn't crack.  The recipe also suggested you individually roll each one in saran wrap....YOU ARE KIDDING ME!!!
 This was happening while I was cooking....my little shadow was watching and talking to me!  Smiles!
 ...and this was happening too...hugging her puppy and snacking and "signing" to me about her game on the Ipad.  So cute! Notice the step ladder....used it today to do a rub on word thingy on my wall...hasn't moved itself....sad.


    Wrapping with Saran Wrap would be rather expensive and time consuming.  I rolled and stuffed 6 of those babies in a lunch size baggie and we were good to go!  I also have a pan that I am going to flash freeze to see if it makes a difference.  Flash freezing mean to put the pan in the freezer for a period of time to let them individually freeze a bit and them put them together so they don't stick together.  I'll let you know!  Doesn't need to be flash frozen!
    Just because I like to keep it real and because I like to "stir the pot" I took pictures and I DID NOT STAGE THEM.  This is your warning.  These pictures are REAL in my real kitchen with the dishes where they landed.  I am NOT cleaning it all to pretend everything is always in place.  Girl, this is real life and it just happen like that in THIS house with 6 kids, 3 in diapers, one about to get his driver's license, not to mention my husband, who could be confused as a child sometimes.....just kidding, love of my life!
      Don't get me wrong....my house is clean....from time to time....just not when YOU are here.  Ha! Or when I am taking pictures.  Yes, I could have moved the step stool or cleaned a picture perfect section of my kitchen.... but I am REAL....a REAL mess in so many ways.  I do expect Aimee will make a comment on this one....she would know. 

Someone asked a valid question about how to re-heat these.  I should have thought of that.  Thank you for asking!

We wrap them in a paper towel (Wet is actually better because it won't stick.  Whether it sticks or not depends on what brand you use.)  and microwave them for 1 minute to 1 1/2 from FROZEN.  Always check the middle!  There's nothing yuckier than biting into one only to find the middle cold!





3 comments:

Life with the Akin Clan said...

Oh my stars! Girl, I never see your house dirty. It's lived in. Huge difference! I glanced at this post and saw my name and thought, "What did I do now?!" LOL

momwithbrownies said...

I blog amid the laundry waiting to be folded. Hello there kindred spirit...nice to meet you.

We're a birth/adoptive/former foster family also. I'll be dropping by to catch your posts now that I've found you on Pinterest. Thank you for the Freezer Cooking post! :o) Congrats on your new adoption!

Shelly
The Mom With Brownies

Rosa B. said...

These look great! What is the best way to reheat them? I'd really like to get into more freezer meal - glad I found your blog via Pinterest! :)