Blogger-120X120-Widget-2013

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Confession...

     I have learned something about me and it is NOT good.  I am pretty good at cleaning out.  I improve all of the time.  I am great at organization of our home (not so much at motivating my staff to keep it there), but somehow in the process I don't get the "stuff" out as quickly as I should.  This is a problem!  I have a friend who goes through her stuff, boxes it or bags it and puts it in her car.  She then actually takes it away right away.  WOW!  Why do I have boxes still in garage to leave and why is my husband's truck still loaded with stuff to go to Hope's Closet and our storage building?  It's only a mile away! Why, I ask you? At least it is out of the house, but GONE?  No!  Then I haven't succeeded.  I may need therapy!

    Today Colin and I were looking at scrapbooks.....let me chase a rabbit here.....I am SO GLAD I DO digital scrapbooks now!  I loved scrapbooking, but it was too much time and money and I had to cross over to the dark side!!  Boy am I glad.  My old REAL scrapbooks all have something wrong with them.  Bindings are broken or the little metal thingies that hold the pictures are breaking.  With a digital scrapbook if something happens it is still at Shutterfly and I can re-order it!  Halleluia Chorus...is now playing!  Happy dance!.....rabbit trail gone.... AND we were looking at various toys and Colin was asking me where those things were.  I was sad to say they were long gone, BUT WHO HAS THE SPACE to keep all that stuff??!!  I try to keep the things that are truly loved and that were truly played with.  Does this mean I should toss or keep the medium sized legos?  I just can't decide.  I THINK the kids played with them at one time and there are little ones coming up behind them.  I kept the Elmo train.  It has gone through all children.  The wooden blocks have always been a BIG HIT.  Marble works...oh yeah.  Thomas the Train....yes, even for the girls.  Hotwheels...check.  Barbies....yes they stay. Lite Brite?  They don't play with it, but I loved it as a child.  What to do, what to do!  Need and want, need and want.  They are 2 very different things, BUT in our society today we do have room to keep a few of those things that our kids or we want.  Do they need those toys?  No.  Bikes?  Oh boy, we have many, but we are kind of THE KID house so we always have extra kids here so we keep them.  They aren't exactly the smallest things, but none the less they stay.  Little wonder.....and I hate to admit it....no car fits in the garage. One used to, but then we began "staging" our house and packed a bunch of stuff so the other half quickly filled.  Baby steps!  Baby steps!

     On a side note, since my last post about me reading a blog where the mom allowed somewhere between 9 to 12 outfits per child (they have LOADS of kids and there just isn't room) I have really weeded out all of our clothing.  I have been shocked even with that how often I can LIVE without something.  I truly don't need too many clothes.  Now, I do realize that it is likely that many of my friends have thought of me when they watch "What Not to Wear", but....  The hardest ones are the ones that get hand me downs from friends.  If I am buying them I can limit it, when they are shared I feel like we need to keep them.  Weird when I have the chance to share with friends and bless someone like I've been blessed.  Share the love. Time to clean out my Tshirt drawer.  I DON"T wear Tshirts.  Why do I buy them?  That is a blog for another day.  Recovering Tshirt buying addict.....

1 comment:

The Clevelands said...

I LOVE shutterfly! And on a side note of keeping toys - I so don't keep the kids' stuff. Sometimes I'm really sad about that, because my Dad never threw anything out. It was so much fun looking at so many things we had when we were little!